December 2, 2011

What Are You Juggling?

     I have been a blogger for a month now. I just looked over the titles of all of my previous posts and it made my brain hurt. I had such a clear idea of what I wanted this blog to be about, and through none of my own doing, I nailed it. Hey, if you aim low enough, you almost never fail! I have posted an incoherent array of subjects, but that's what Just Getting By is all about - at least I posted something.
     I used to read other blogs about homemaking and I would feel bad because their lives seemed so perfect. "Today, after I sew little Nancy a new dress, I will go pick some fresh tea leaves from my garden and infuse them with the essence of the peaches from the orchard." Yeah right. I grow weeds in my garden, and the peaches I buy at the supermarket go bad in the back of the fridge. I'm confident I will never be Holly Homemaker, but I'm okay with being Andrea Who's House Is A Mess This Week But Who Finished Making Homemade Candy For Christmas Gifts.
     That is the true meaning of Just Getting By. I don't feel bad that those perfect people out there know how to make fancy homemade candy (or scarves, or laundry soap, or greeting cards); I know how to do all that stuff too. I just can't seem to do all of it at once. When I accomplish something like getting the house decorated for a holiday, something else suffers - the car gets overloaded with Storm Troopers and Cheerios or that important piece of paper gets lost in The Pile. I am constantly juggling, and I'm not very good at it. But somehow we have a place to live and food to eat. And even though the shirt I'm wearing has been in my wardrobe since 1991, at least I'm not sitting here naked (and if I wait long enough, I will eventually be back in style.)
     This has been a fun month, and I look forward to continuing here. Please look forward to more on organization, recipes, healthy eating, indulgent eating, moming, and whatever else gets thrown at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment