December 23, 2011

Merry Christmas!

   On my list of things to do today: go to the mall. There is an item there that I need to get for a Christmas present. I am not looking forward to this. What makes me upset is that my son attends school in the mall, so three days a week I sit in my "office" (outside Starbucks) and do my blogging and other computer work. Right after Thanksgiving a new kiosk went up five feet from where I sit. For weeks I looked at this item that would be  perfect for my little one, but somehow I decided it would be a good idea to wait until the Friday before Christmas to make a special trip to the mall to purchase it.
   This is what I mean by Just Getting By. Holly Homemaker would never let something like this happen. She would have sewed and glued and baked all of her gifts weeks ago, and would spend this Friday before Christmas frolicking in the snow with her children and making hot cocoa with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top. I, on the other hand, will move the dirty laundry into the garage, throw the toys that are on the living room floor into a corner, and go battle the crowds at the mall in my sweatpants and flip flops. The closest I will get to my Holly Homemaker fantasy is that it was 33 degrees when I dropped my husband off at the bus this morning. For southern California that's practically a blizzard (even though the sun is shining and there isn't a cloud in the sky).
   I'm not complaining though. I'm just wondering where all the people are who are like me. I can't be the only one that struggles to make life work. Back up. My life works all the time, it just doesn't usually go smoothly. So this Merry Christmas goes out to all of you who's houses are still messy, who didn't buy enough gifts, who's Christmas trees are lopsided (or dead), who didn't have time to send Christmas cards, who will be having pizza for Christmas dinner, who decided to fix the car instead of splurge on presents, and who's kids will try out their new skateboards over dead leaves on Christmas morning instead of new sleds on freshly fallen snow. Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment