March 30, 2012

Lazy Blogger, Busy Life

About two weeks ago I scheduled a whole bunch of appointments. I don't know why I suddenly had so many people to see all at once, but I've been booked every day. I am very much a creature of habit, and when I have an appointment, it throws me off for the whole day. On the days I didn't blog I felt like I was shirking my responsibilities, but I have to remember to give myself credit: as much as blogging is important to me, my son's orthodontic health and my prenatal care are more important.

I am always amazed at people who are obviously busy but still manage to blog and tweet several times a day. Sometimes I go for a whole week and can't think of anything to write about that anyone else would be interested in. And when I do something noteworthy, I am usually too busy enjoying the moment to tell my cyber-friends about it.

Technology has brought on a phenomenon that I do not enjoy. Because communication is so easy, we do it all the time, and the quality has suffered. Imagine going on vacation thirty years ago. Your friends and family are excited for you and can't wait for you to return so they can hear all about it. Back at home you invite them over and spend a nice evening together telling the tales of your adventure. These days, when you get to the Eiffel Tower, you take a picture of yourself in front of it, text it to all your friends, and move on to the next thing. By the time you get home, everyone has already seen all your photos, and heard the funny story about what happened at the cafe across the street from the Louvre. There's no need to actually spend any time with your friends when you return because you have nothing left to talk about.

I am no longer going to feel bad when I skip a few blog posts. For those of you that read regularly, hang in there, I will always come back and keep in touch; I just refuse to stop living a life worth writing about just so that I have time to write about how I have no time to do anything worth writing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment