February 22, 2012

Squid Dogs

Some of you were interested in one of my menu items I listed on Monday. Squid Dogs seem to be all the rage. I found the recipe in a kids cookbook in the dollar bin at Target. It looked interesting, but I hadn't tried them yet. Then all of the sudden I saw them all over the internet so I decided to give them a try. It is the simplest thing to do: cut hot dogs into one inch chunks, stick uncooked spaghetti through the middle, and boil.

As I was putting the spaghetti in I started imagining a bunch of cool things you could create in this medium. For brave moms, this could be an art/cooking lesson. Give the kids a pile of cut up dogs and spaghetti of different lengths and let them build whatever, maybe the Eiffel Tower. When they're done, boil their project and let them eat it.

Stay tuned because I think I just might try this with my kids. I imagine it will be a lot of fun, and I will post photos of our creations before and after.

P.S. My family LOVED eating these, but I'm not much of a hot dog person. This may be a good time to make a real squid recipe that your kids don't like. That way, everyone is eating "squid" but there are no dinner table tantrums. (Thanks Sandra!)

No comments:

Post a Comment