February 8, 2012

The Secret To Financial Success!

Ha! Gotcha! You thought I was going to give you a magic, easy answer like, "Buy a winning lottery ticket." Sorry, that only works one time in 23 million or something. You are probably looking for something a little more reliable. But I don't have a specific plan that will be the answer to your prayers either. If you read my post from Friday, you know the only advice I have is to DO IT. Pick a plan that makes sense to you, and then DO IT.

In the financial department, the plan I have picked is Dave Ramsey. Most of what this guy says makes sense to me, and his plan seems like something I can realistically do. I can't say that his plan will work for you or not. The only thing I know is that it definitely wont work for me if I don't DO IT. What got me hooked on him is that I didn't have to pay for anything. One of my husband's clients lent us a set of CDs as a 'tip'. I have often wanted to learn the secrets of wealthy people, but couldn't wrap my head around paying 20, 50, or 100 dollars to buy their stuff. If I'm in debt, I can't afford that. So when we were lent the CDs, I devoured them.

It turns out that most of his techniques are things that I already know how to do. If I already know how, then why am I still in debt? You guessed it. Because I didn't DO IT. Dave Ramsey gets this concept. He explains the concepts in words you can understand, and then pushes you to discipline yourself and follow through with them. Check out his website to learn more. Although I didn't have to pay, now that I've heard his stuff, I think it is worth it to at buy one of his books if you are serious about helping yourself.

Last thought: hang in there. No matter what plan you choose to follow, it will take time to dig out of the hole you're in. If you have a lot of credit card debt, it may be because you wanted instant gratification. That's what got you into this mess. Slow and steady wins the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment