July 18, 2012

World Book Wednesday


Volume O

Oklahoma- "A mall in downtown Tulsa gives shoppers and tourists a large area for strolling."

I would love to take a stroll in this pleasant plaza, but I suspect that if this place
still exists, the railings and benches are worn down from skateboard grinding, the
planters probably reek of urine, and that rad clock is permanently stuck on 12:23.

Olympic Games- How fitting that I should come across this article as we gear up for the next round of Games. "Mark Spitz, a U.S. swimmer, set a record in 1972 by winning seven gold medals in a single Olympics." That was thirteen years before Michael Phelps was born.

Here is a photo of one of the most famous gymnasts ever, Nadia Comaneci. She inspired
my idol, Mary Lou Retton, who won the Olympic All-Around title in 1984. Every
Olympic Games, the names change, but you always remember 
your athlete and what they did.

Organ- "Electronic organs are popular in many homes. These organs occupy less space than pipe organs and they are easier to play." Today, electronic organs are only popular in thrift stores.

For reasons I can't explain, this picture reminds me of my Mormon relatives.

The World Book Encyclopedia. Chicago: World Book-Childcraft International, 1979. Includes all photos and quotations

No comments:

Post a Comment