June 20, 2012

World Book Wednesday


Volume K

Kentucky- "Mountain Woman stands near her home in southeastern Kentucky. Since 1950, thousands of Kentuckians have moved from rural to urban areas."
Who is Mountain Woman? Is she some beloved national icon that I should be ashamed I don't know about?
Maybe she's just well known in Kentucky and the school kids get a day off and go to the Mountain Woman Parade.

Khrushchev, Nikita- I asked my 12 year old son if he knew what the U.S.S.R. was. He didn't know. I asked him about the Soviet Union. He said it was some army that fought in World War II and doesn't exist anymore. Times have changed; he probably thinks about terrorists and Al Qaeda instead of Khrushchev and the commies. Every generation has it's own stuff to worry about.

"Nikita S. Khrushchev ruled the U.S.S.R. from 1958 to 1964."

The World Book Encyclopedia. Chicago: World Book-Childcraft International, 1979. Includes all photos and quotations.

No comments:

Post a Comment